Fw: Re: hist-brewing: Kvass

tkgriffin at juno.com tkgriffin at juno.com
Thu Jul 3 10:11:55 PDT 2003

The only research I have done on Kvass is watching my grandmother make it and I've done it once myself.  Her recipe (from what's in my head because I don't have the recipe at work) is basically 1 1/2 lb stale black bread.  Soak the bread in hot water over night, strain as much liquid out as possible, add honey to taste - let it ferment.  I don't know if the hot water helps activates any yeasts in the bread or if they are the wild yeast variety (she also did a lot of bread baking in her kitchen).

Therese