hist-brewing: Kvass

Owen Hutchins owenbrau at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 2 03:27:02 PDT 2003

The oldest known written recipe for ANYTHING is The Hymn to Ninkasi, which
describes Sumerian beer making practices. In it, a type of date-bread called
bapir (which wasn't eaten, but was only to make beer) is made, twice-baked,
and then crumbled in water to make the beer. I got to try the experimental
batch made by Anchor Brewing; interesting, although now I think it should
have had some lactic character.

Yeast is fairly endemic, as are lactic acid bacteria. The trick is keeping
them OUT of things, really. Baker's yeast is actually the same species as
ale yeast, but it has been bred (hehe) for rapid and high CO2 production,
not alcohol, so the flavors today aren't always that nice for beer. Several
references (I have Markham in front of me) recommend putting the ale house
and bakery adjacent to each other.

Owen
"English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other
languages down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets
for loose grammar."