hist-brewing: Markham recipes

Henry Davis henry at henry-davis.com
Tue Jul 1 14:31:24 PDT 2003

At 09:04 PM 6/30/03 -0400, PBLoomis at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 6/29/2003 9:40:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>owenbrau at earthlink.net writes:
>
>>It's been some time since we've done much period work, so we're kind of
>>starting over here. Our mash was far too hot; we mashed in the water we knew
>>we needed in order to get out the right amount, but Markham says to add
>>"water near to boiling", so our mash wound up at 180F+, and we wound up
>>having to add more malt to it after it has cooled some in order to get any
>>conversion. Help!
>
>        It has to do with how they added the water:  They ladled it in.
>        Master Ateno and Master Geoffrey de Wigan did some experimental
>work after noticing that in Markham, and developed the "Four Ounce Ladle"
>method.  For a 5 gallon batch, turn off the heat under your strike water and
>ladle it into the mash vessel with a four ounce ladle, stirring three times
>between ladles.  When you're done the mash temp will be 151-155 F.
>        Scotti

Geoffrey and I speculated about the impact of ladling the liquor before I
moved to California (about 6 or 7 years ago). I did theoretical work
calculating heat loss through different types and sizes of mash tun.
Geoffrey did the experimental work. My investigations showed that we could
use the type of set up the Geoffrey selected and obtain historically
correct brewing results - the issue was what ladle size and how long to
take per ladle of liquor. Geoffrey determined that by experimentation (as
did I). We came up with very similar methods - he by the use of stirring
the mash, and me by counting one one thousand ... four one thousand. Both
used a 4 oz ladle.

Henry