hist-brewing: Cordial question...

Charley Atchley Charley at lcc.net
Tue Jul 1 14:19:57 PDT 2003

> A question I did have, however, was that when you are making cordials from
a pre-exsisting alcohol base (i.e. Rum, Vodka, etc), when you add the fruit,
and the sugar to it, does that not ferment the fruit and increase the
alcohol content?  Is that not considered brewing on some small scale?   I
don't want to get anyone riled up about the subject again, I was just
curious.  ^_^

Most yeast dies below 15% alcohol (30 proof). Some really hearty strains can
go to 22% (44 proof). Most vodka and Rum start at around 40% alcohol (80
proof). No yeast means no fermentation.