hist-brewing: definition of brewing

Laura Barrowman emmasmum at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 1 11:41:34 PDT 2003

For all of the crazy things Scadians get arguing about... Cordials are
covered under the Brewing heading because they contain alcohol.  SCA has
a special policy governing the involvement of alcoholic beverages in
competition.  If the rules are not followed we endanger the "Insurance
Policy" - that nifty thing that allows the SCA to have fighting.  All
Scadians know we    "must......protect....insurance....policy" with our
dying breath.  Heck, if someone could prove those chocolates with
cordials in them are period, I'd be inclined to include them in the
Brewers Guild if it meant they would turn up in competitions.  Mmmmmm.
Chocolate and beer.

I tried looking up brewing in the dictionary.  One volume I have only
says "to make beer from malt and hops by boiling, infusion and
germination".  Hmmmm... didn't think you could germinate malt.  That
must have been the one I got for 99 cents.  So I go to my monster
Webster's Unabridged.  I won't bore you all with the many definitions of
brew but one in particular does stand out "to concoct, to mix".  I think
that one definitely covers cordial making.

I have always thought that to brew meant one made beer but Webster has
proved me wrong.

Margret des Kranenturm