hist-brewing: Project GutenBrew - Noonan's Scotch Ale

Mike Bennett mjb at efn.org
Mon Jun 30 21:24:25 PDT 2003

Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote in hist-brewing digest, Vol 1 #151:

Message: 6 Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:37:28 -0700 From: Greg Lindahl
<lindahl at pbm.com> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 02:24:00PM -0700, Mike Bennett
wrote:

>> I've found that Greg Noonan's book "Scotch Ale" gives a very good
>> description of historic (18-19th C.) brewing practices, which
>> hadn't changed much in centuries.

Speaking of Project GutenBrew, to get out-of-copyright brewing books
on the web, would you be interested in making a photocopy that I could
scan, assuming that the copyright details are OK? I would love to get
all of the most important sources online.

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/histbrew.html

Noonan's book is available in most well-stocked homebrew shops.  It's part of the "Classic Beer Styles" series put out by Brewer's Publications.  The ISBN is 0-937381-35-7.  It has an extensive bibliography, most of which would probably be very hard to find in the US.  One of these days, I'll be able to take an extended sabbatical in Europe to do some major research.  LOL!!!

--
Mike Bennett
Head Brewer, Southside Speakeasy, Salem OR

....Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour.
Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime....