hist-brewing: Markham recipes

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 18:04:23 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/29/2003 9:40:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
owenbrau at earthlink.net writes:

> It's been some time since we've done much period work, so we're kind of
> starting over here. Our mash was far too hot; we mashed in the water we knew
> we needed in order to get out the right amount, but Markham says to add
> "water near to boiling", so our mash wound up at 180F+, and we wound up
> having to add more malt to it after it has cooled some in order to get any
> conversion. Help!

       It has to do with how they added the water:  They ladled it in.
       Master Ateno and Master Geoffrey de Wigan did some experimental
work after noticing that in Markham, and developed the "Four Ounce Ladle"
method.  For a 5 gallon batch, turn off the heat under your strike water and
ladle it into the mash vessel with a four ounce ladle, stirring three times
between ladles.  When you're done the mash temp will be 151-155 F.
       Scotti