hist-brewing: Cordials

rory rory at forgottensea.org
Mon Jun 30 12:47:11 PDT 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:08:57 -0400, Bruce R. Gordon wrote
> Greetings
>      Sorry to rain on the parade, but I'm afraid it's not a fallacy.
> Check Title 27 in Federal regulations. To quote from the ATF's own
> website: "You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without
> paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a
> distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the
> criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be
> met that make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or
> beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying special tax,
> filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate
> equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines,
>  providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and
> maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these
> requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19."     Beer and wine fall
> under different arrangements, and it is relatively simple to ferment
> for home use. But not distillation. Now, having said that, am I
> implying that if you cook up a gallon or two of booze in your own
> kitchen, that ATF agents are going to suddenly pop out of the
> woodwork and haul you off? Probably not. But it is nevertheless
> illegal, and they can if they find out about you and feel
> sufficiently motivated to pester you. And in any event, the SCA as a
> not-for-profit organization cannot be seen as condoning illegal
> activity, and so cannot knowingly permit home-distilled products to
> be displayed at SCA sanctioned activities, such as A+S fairs.
>
> Bruce R. Gordon

This section has been misquoted out of context for years. Believe what you
will, but I assure you, it is not. I notice that you didn't include the main
section of this section. I hope this was only an oversight and not a
purposefully misdirection. But this section is in regards to commercial
production.

Trust me, I have spoken directly (via phone) with not only a representative
of the ATF, but also with law makers in Jefferson City (Capital of Missouri),
and with distributors of home distilling equipment. I had the same questions
years ago. I quoted the same sections. However, after having those
aforementioned conversations, I understand your position, but can only tell
you that you are incorrect. Especially in regards to freeze-distilling, which
is the period method of distilling, anyway, and not regulated at all by the
ATF.

I am not going to get into this argument. I have done years of research on
this topic and worked with people at the State level to ensure that no
offense was being committed. And if you are set in your beliefs, then no
email war is going to convince you otherwise, and I haven't inclination at
this time to carry one out. Suffice it to say that you are incorrect.

Rory