hist-brewing: Cordials

Bruce R. Gordon obsidian at raex.com
Mon Jun 30 12:08:57 PDT 2003

Greetings
     Sorry to rain on the parade, but I'm afraid it's not a fallacy.
Check Title 27 in Federal regulations. To quote from the ATF's own
website: "You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without
paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a
distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the
criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be met
that make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage
use. Some of these requirements are paying special tax, filing an
extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to
measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a
separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed
records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27
CFR Part 19."
     Beer and wine fall under different arrangements, and it is
relatively simple to ferment for home use. But not distillation. Now,
having said that, am I implying that if you cook up a gallon or two of
booze in your own kitchen, that ATF agents are going to suddenly pop
out of the woodwork and haul you off? Probably not. But it is
nevertheless illegal, and they can if they find out about you and feel
sufficiently motivated to pester you. And in any event, the SCA as a
not-for-profit organization cannot be seen as condoning illegal
activity, and so cannot knowingly permit home-distilled products to be
displayed at SCA sanctioned activities, such as A+S fairs.

Bruce R. Gordon

http://www.thehomebrewstore.com).
> It is prohibited at a *State-level*. The part that is illegal "in the
USA"
> (read "by the Feds") is the part about transporting said beverage and
its
> sale.
>
> > I don't know
> > how they do things in Calontir, but in the Middle, where I am from,
> >  presentation of home-distilled products at an A+S fair isn't
> > permitted, since it is illegal.
>
> If it is illegal in your state, then at the LEAST, the entrant should
explain
> the choice of a pre-made liquor, and choose one appropriate to the
context,
> and since vodka was rare (until later period) and everclear was
unheard of.
> Again, my point isn't about legality, which as stated above is the
biggest
> fallacy in the brewing world, my question is about where/how it
should be
> discussed/judged.
>
> >   I would have
> > to disagree that blending flavours is a lesser skill
>
> NOTICE, I didn't say it was a lesser skill, I said that it maybe
belonged in
> cooking. I can't make a good quiche, and all that is is mixing
ingredients.
> There is some skill there. My point of conversation was to examine
whether it
> is fair to place cordials in "brewing." Making Sekanjabin ISN'T
generally
> considered "brewing," right? That is the SAME as making a cordial.
But