hist-brewing: Cordials

Elizabeth England-Kennedy lizek at antioch-college.edu
Mon Jun 30 10:26:09 PDT 2003

Distilling is illegal throughout the US, I believe. there are also
gallon-limits on the amount that home-brewers can produce annually. (I'm
at my office right now & don't have the exact # at hand.) However, brewing
wines / meads, melomels, etc. / beers, ales, etc. is legal as far as the
Feds are concerned as long as it isn't a home business (hence the gallon
limits). States and counties can set "local" rules that are more strict,
however (e.g., the "dry counties" in parts of Midrealm). I am not sure why
you have not been able to compete -- at the Pennsic I attended, for
example, homebrew tastings, etc. were held, and I believe a workshop on
brewing (though I might be misremembering). I am newly-moved to Middle, so
I don't yet know how the intricacies here work. Is it possible that the
event(s) you're describing were in /allowing for "dry" regions? -- Liz
(Lady Aisha Khalima)