hist-brewing: Cordials

rory rory at forgottensea.org
Mon Jun 30 10:09:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:20:36 -0400, Bruce R. Gordon wrote
> Greetings
>      Well, in theory I could agree, but in actual practice the
> distillation of alcohol is entirely illegal in the USA without very
> expensive and extremely difficult-to-obtain licensing.

This is a fallacy. There are Home-brewing supply stores all over the nation
selling distilling equipment (for instance: http://www.thehomebrewstore.com).
It is prohibited at a *State-level*. The part that is illegal "in the USA"
(read "by the Feds") is the part about transporting said beverage and its
sale.

> I don't know
> how they do things in Calontir, but in the Middle, where I am from,
>  presentation of home-distilled products at an A+S fair isn't
> permitted, since it is illegal.

If it is illegal in your state, then at the LEAST, the entrant should explain
the choice of a pre-made liquor, and choose one appropriate to the context,
and since vodka was rare (until later period) and everclear was unheard of.
Again, my point isn't about legality, which as stated above is the biggest
fallacy in the brewing world, my question is about where/how it should be
discussed/judged.

>   I would have
> to disagree that blending flavours is a lesser skill

NOTICE, I didn't say it was a lesser skill, I said that it maybe belonged in
cooking. I can't make a good quiche, and all that is is mixing ingredients.
There is some skill there. My point of conversation was to examine whether it
is fair to place cordials in "brewing." Making Sekanjabin ISN'T generally
considered "brewing," right? That is the SAME as making a cordial. But
Sekanjabin is included with cooking not brewing, and my question is whether
cordials should be placed there too.

HL Rory McGowen