hist-brewing: Cordials

Bruce R. Gordon obsidian at raex.com
Mon Jun 30 09:20:36 PDT 2003

Greetings
     Well, in theory I could agree, but in actual practice the
distillation of alcohol is entirely illegal in the USA without very
expensive and extremely difficult-to-obtain licensing. I don't know how
they do things in Calontir, but in the Middle, where I am from,
presentation of home-distilled products at an A+S fair isn't permitted,
since it is illegal. So I would be unwilling to deduct points on the
basis of maceration vs distillation.
     I would have to disagree that blending flavours is a lesser skill -
 demonstrating a knowledge of period herbs, spices, and fruits,
blending them in a precise fashion so that no one overwhelms any of the
others, balancing all that with sugar levels - all these
accomplishments are at an advanced state of knowledge.
     And, for the record, I never use vodka - I've seen no
documentation for it's use in period medicinals or cordials, while
there is plenty of documentation to support wines and brandies.
Everclear I don't even want to discuss.

Bruce R. Gordon
(Forester Nigel FitzMaurice - Middle Kingdom, SCA)

> FOR DISCUSSION:
>
> On the subject of Cordials. Several of us in Calontir (SCA) have been
> discussing that Cordials might better belong in the cooking category
than in
> brewing. If for no other reason than the fact that most of the
cordials that
> we see are someone adding some flavor to a pre-existing alcohol base.
>
> It is hard to say you made a cordial when you added fruit to
Everclear. You
> didn't "brew" anything. Strictly speaking, you had nothing to do with
the
> creation of the alcohol what so ever. That would be like saying you
made
> coffee this morning when really all you did is grab a cup of coffee
at
> QuickTrip and added sugar and cream. Hence you didn't make it. You
flavored
> to taste, which isn't the same.
>
> However, if you made the wine/alcohol, and then distilled the alcohol
from
> the base, and then made that into a cordial, then I would be
impressed.

> I did that several years back with pineapples. I took fresh fruit,
made that
> into a wine. After a year of aging, I took the wine and freeze
distilled the
> water off. Then I added cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. . . It
turned
> out heavenly. Much better than any vodka/everclear based cordial.
>
> At the very least, on scoring cordials in competitions, points should
be
> deducted/not awarded for using an pre-made alcohol base.
>
> Rory
>
> PS- As for the research, you are correct, cordials were medicinal
until
> (basically) the Renaissance.
>

> PPS- This comes from a recent War (SCA) in which several people
handed me
> Cordials to try that they had "made."
>

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:43:51 -0400, Bruce R. Gordon wrote
> > Greetings
> >      I've been involved in much the same sort of research - you are
> > correct, "cordials" as we use the term really don't start to emerge
> > much before the 15th-16th centuries. (1st appearance of the
> > word "cordial" in an alcoholic sense in English is in the Prologue
> > of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales).     For what it's worth, try the
> > link below - it's a short paper I did some years back on a 13th
> > century concoction. There are links at the bottom of that file
> > connecting you with a few other papers I've done on the subject.
All
> > have bibliographies. The collection of papers should give you at
> > least a sense of what's out there, and some pointers as to where to
> > head next.
> >
> > http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/spcwine.html
> >
> > Bruce R. Gordon
> >
> > > I'm doing some research on cordials during the 1200's. I've
> > discovered that
> > > as a drink for pleasure, cordials did not really exist but there
were
> > some
> > > drinks that were used in a medicinal capacity that could be
> > considered cordials
> > > now. But I have not been able to find any recipes or
documentation.