hist-brewing: Cordials

rory rory at forgottensea.org
Mon Jun 30 07:41:30 PDT 2003

FOR DISCUSSION:

On the subject of Cordials. Several of us in Calontir (SCA) have been
discussing that Cordials might better belong in the cooking category than in
brewing. If for no other reason than the fact that most of the cordials that
we see are someone adding some flavor to a pre-existing alcohol base.

It is hard to say you made a cordial when you added fruit to Everclear. You
didn't "brew" anything. Strictly speaking, you had nothing to do with the
creation of the alcohol what so ever. That would be like saying you made
coffee this morning when really all you did is grab a cup of coffee at
QuickTrip and added sugar and cream. Hence you didn't make it. You flavored
to taste, which isn't the same.

However, if you made the wine/alcohol, and then distilled the alcohol from
the base, and then made that into a cordial, then I would be impressed.

I did that several years back with pineapples. I took fresh fruit, made that
into a wine. After a year of aging, I took the wine and freeze distilled the
water off. Then I added cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. . . It turned
out heavenly. Much better than any vodka/everclear based cordial.

At the very least, on scoring cordials in competitions, points should be
deducted/not awarded for using an pre-made alcohol base.

Rory

PS- As for the research, you are correct, cordials were medicinal until
(basically) the Renaissance.

PPS- This comes from a recent War (SCA) in which several people handed me
Cordials to try that they had "made."

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:43:51 -0400, Bruce R. Gordon wrote