hist-brewing: Cordials

Bruce R. Gordon obsidian at raex.com
Mon Jun 30 06:43:51 PDT 2003

Greetings
     I've been involved in much the same sort of research - you are
correct, "cordials" as we use the term really don't start to emerge
much before the 15th-16th centuries. (1st appearance of the
word "cordial" in an alcoholic sense in English is in the Prologue of
Chaucer's Canterbury Tales).
     For what it's worth, try the link below - it's a short paper I did
some years back on a 13th century concoction. There are links at the
bottom of that file connecting you with a few other papers I've done on
the subject. All have bibliographies. The collection of papers should
give you at least a sense of what's out there, and some pointers as to
where to head next.

http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/spcwine.html

Bruce R. Gordon

> I'm doing some research on cordials during the 1200's. I've
discovered that
> as a drink for pleasure, cordials did not really exist but there were
some
> drinks that were used in a medicinal capacity that could be
considered cordials
> now. But I have not been able to find any recipes or documentation.
Could

--
Ex Tenebra, Lux