hist-brewing: Markham recipes

Owen Hutchins owenbrau at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 29 18:40:09 PDT 2003

We brewed up a batch of Markham's ordinary ale last weekend, and ran into a
few issues.

It's been some time since we've done much period work, so we're kind of
starting over here. Our mash was far too hot; we mashed in the water we knew
we needed in order to get out the right amount, but Markham says to add
"water near to boiling", so our mash wound up at 180F+, and we wound up
having to add more malt to it after it has cooled some in order to get any
conversion. Help!
Owen
"English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other
languages down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets
for loose grammar."