hist-brewing: Re: [EKBrewers] Pease in Beer

Mike Bennett mjb at efn.org
Thu May 29 13:00:49 PDT 2003

hist-brewing-request at pbm.com wrote:

>Message: 1
>From: PBLoomis at aol.com
>Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 09:57:50 EDT
>To: EKBrewers at yahoogroups.com, hist-brewing at pbm.com, sca_brew at yahoogroups.com,
>        CALON-BREW at CRCVMS.UNL.EDU
>Subject: hist-brewing: Re: [EKBrewers] Pease in Beer
>
>In a message dated 5/28/2003 9:22:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>owenbrau at earthlink.net writes:
>
>>It seems odd too, as the pease are listed at one peck (2 gallons, 1/4
>>bushel), wheat and oat malt at a half peck each, and the malt at a quarter
>>(8 bushels). Why did they even bother with the wheat and oats, they're at
>>less than 1 1/2%! I wonder if Markham mis-wrote?
>>
>Your missive sent me scurrying to my own copy of Markham (ISBN 0-7735-1103-2, edited by Michael R. Best, 1986).  I'd never really read that recipe before.  You're right; it's weird.  Does anybody have a different edition of Markham's
>_English_Housewife_?  Does it say the same thing (Chapter 9, section 7)??
>       Scotti

While I don't own a copy of the book in question, I think I can provide
some insight into the use of wheat and oats.

What probably happened is that the brewer noticed through empirical
observations that the use of small amounts of wheat contributed to
greater head retention (everyone likes good head) and that oats
contributed to a fuller mouthfeel which might be lacking from the use of
pease.

As a modern professional brewer, I often use wheat and oats for just
these purposes.

--
Mike Bennett
aka Ld. Brenainn MacCuUladh

....Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour.
Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime....