hist-brewing: Re: [EKBrewers] Pease in Beer

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Thu May 29 06:57:50 PDT 2003

In a message dated 5/28/2003 9:22:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
owenbrau at earthlink.net writes:

> It seems odd too, as the pease are listed at one peck (2 gallons, 1/4
> bushel), wheat and oat malt at a half peck each, and the malt at a quarter
> (8 bushels). Why did they even bother with the wheat and oats, they're at
> less than 1 1/2%! I wonder if Markham mis-wrote?

       Your missive sent me scurrying to my own copy of Markham (ISBN
0-7735-1103-2, edited by Michael R. Best, 1986).  I'd never really read
that recipe before.  You're right; it's weird.
       Does anybody have a different edition of Markham's
_English_Housewife_?
Does it say the same thing (Chapter 9, section 7)??
       Scotti