hist-brewing: historic books republished

Jeff Renner jeffrenner at comcast.net
Thu Mar 13 10:39:03 PST 2003

Brewing historians

This is late but still timely.  List member Glenn Raudins has
republished several historic books in beautiful editions with acid
free paper and bonded leather covers, entirely reset type, and
generally very nice.

http://raudins.com/BrewBooks/default.htm

His third book, Town and Country Brewery Book (1830) is about to be
published, and the pre-order deadline is March 15.  After that, the
price goes up, and he will also have a general price increase at that
date.

His web site is set up for secure online ordering and PayPal payment,
and he is set up for international shipping.

I have no affiliation with Glenn other than wanting to see him
succeed so he will publish more - and, he provided me with a review
copy of his second book.  I wrote an unsolicited review for HomeBrew
Digest which he has on his web page.  I haven't written one for the
second one from sheer procrastination.

As I wrote in my review of the first book:

>I wholeheartedly recommend this book.  If you are interested in how
>beer was brewed in the mid 19th century, you will want this book.  If
>you are interested in the history of applied technology, you will
>want this book.  If you like nice books, you will want it.

The second one is as good and I am sure the new one will not disappoint.

Here is a full description of the about to be published book,
followed byu briefer ones of the first two.

	1830 - Town and Country Brewery Book

Our first English brewing title and the oldest book we have
republished yet, The Town and Country Brewery Book by W. Brande,
circa 1830. A brilliant early 19th century English book discussing
different types of regional English brewing techniques and their
recipes.

At the time, Brande considered most of the books over the previous 50
years to have been simple recompilations of the same information and
the same mistakes. He felt that a new book with practical
instructions was needed and he set out to produce The Town And
Country Brewery Book. Thankfully he chose to fill the void he saw
because the result of his work is almost 300 pages of period English
brewing unlike any other book we have read.

What Brande achieved, in writing The Town and Country Brewery Book,
was saving information about styles of beer and brewing techniques
which don't exist today. Styles such as Devonshire White Ale and
Edinburgh Oat Ale.

Never heard of some of these beers? One reason is that this book is
extremely scarce! Very few copies of the original book appear to have
survived the test of time. (We have only been able to locate 4 copies
in libraries world wide.)

=============

	The Complete Practical Brewer, 1852, by M.L. Byrn

Not to be confused with the "Practical Brewer" produced by the MBAA
during the mid to late 1900s, this is one of the early American
brewing texts.  Authored by an American, M.L. Byrn, and printed by
one of the earliest American publishers of technical books, Henry
Carey Baird.

	The Complete Practical Distiller, 1875, by M.L. Byrn

Originally published in 1854, a couple years after "The Complete
Practical Brewer", M.L. Byrn and Henry Carey Baird once again teamed
up to deliver the early American perspective to distilling. This book
discusses different techniques and recipes for producing distilled
spirits.

Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, JeffRenner at comcast.net
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943