hist-brewing: Re: hist-brewing digest, Vol 1 #139 - 1 msg

Henry Davis henry at henry-davis.com
Mon Jan 6 16:26:34 PST 2003

At 02:51 PM 1/6/03 -0600, Randy Mosher wrote:
>Here's a few snippets from Arnold*:
>
>"However, we do learn from Pytheas, who also visited Britain, through the
>medium of Strabo, IV, 5, 5 that 'they who used grain and honey, made also a
>drink from it.'"
>
>"Posidonius in the quotation of Athenaeus (IV, 36), speaks of beer made of
>wheat and prepared with honey, and 'still oftener without honey,' also, of a
>'beer made of corn [barley] and honey,' and Strabo..." (mentioned above).

My notes are packed away right now, but there is also a series of "post
cards" from a Roman governor in the British Museum (display case leading
into the Roman section) that give similar references - while asking for
more wine. I think that the post cards were from the 4th century but i
might be mistaken. The specific reference that I saw was to barley - no
mention of honey, but a later reference that suggested honey was used in
addition to the malt.

Henry