hist-brewing: Wheat malt

BrewInfo brewinfo at xnet.com
Mon Dec 30 12:09:12 PST 2002

Alan might be right about the low enzymes in the *homemade* wheat malt.
Home malting is hit-and-miss at best and the people who I know that have
home malted have found that they have very inconsistent conversion and
variable diastatic power.  Commercially malted wheat will have considerably
more diastatic power than barley.  In general, high protein malts (like
wheat) will have more enzymes too.

As for grinding, since wheat doesn't have husk, in theory, it can be crushed
to flour and then will result in higher yield, but I'm not sure if wheat has
an aleurone layer like barley.  If it does, then you don't want to overcrush
it.  In the case of barley malt, the aleurone layer, not the husk, is the
source of tannins, desipte what 99% of the homebrewing texts out there tell
you, and overcrushing the aleurone layer is what results in astringent beers
from overcrushed malt.

Al.
www.brewinfo.org