hist-brewing: Malt Mills

Sean Richens srichens at sprint.ca
Mon Dec 30 06:02:06 PST 2002

I took a look at the Kitchenaid web page, and can't really see enough to be
sure, but what I think you should check out is whether:
a)  the "coarse" setting is really coarse enough, or
b) that you can shim out the plates to go beyond the standard range.

I slip a couple of 1/16" slotted plates between the body of my Corona mill
and the yoke that holds the bearing for the outboard plate.  As long as
option (b) is open to you, it can always be made to work.  Looking at the
picture:
http://kitchenaid.suresource.com/itemdetail-netcache.asp?uid=200212300855105
1&Item=GMA&edp=23491&itemcat=Accessories&acc-key=4QTSTAND&hidewarr=N

...I see a pair of wingnuts above and below the adjustment knob.  Putting a
couple of washers between the cleanout access and the mill body should do
it.  But before investing USD130, I'd want to get my hands on a display
model.

Good luck.  My grain bill is just within tolerability for hand-cranking, so
I begin to see the attraction of motorized mills.

SR