hist-brewing: Re: Spanish Juice and Hartshorn Shavings

Mike Bennett mjb at efn.org
Wed Dec 18 14:37:38 PST 2002

JazzboBob at aol.com  wrote:

>The Private Brewer's Guide of 1822 mentions Spanish Juice in several Porter
>recipes.
>What is this? Some form of caramel or concentrated molasses?
>Also, what are Hartshorn Shavings?

I think you're correct in assuming that Spanish Juice is molasses or
dark cane syrup.  Hartshorn shavings are literally that... hart's horn
shavings.  They are shavings from the horn of a hart (elk).  My guess is
that they serve a function similar to irish moss in the boil, or as a
fining agent if used post-fermentation.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike Bennett
Brewer for Hire
mjb at efn.org

....Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour.
Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime....