hist-brewing: Re: other brewing ingredients question

Martyn Cornell atrectus at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Dec 18 13:47:39 PST 2002

JazzBo Bob asked:

>The Private Brewer's Guide of 1822 mentions Spanish Juice in several Porter
recipes.
>What is this? Some form of caramel or concentrated molasses?

"Spanish juice" was liquorice root (or licorice for New Worlders) boiled in
water which was then evaporated. It was used in the 18th century to colour
porters and stouts, especially when paler malts started being used at the
end of the century to get a better extract.

>Also, what are Hartshorn Shavings?

Hartshorn shavings were literally that - the shavings or raspings of harts'
horns, the horns of male deer. They were added to casks as finings and to
reduce the acidity of old beer (they give off ammonia in water). 18th
century brewers also thought, wrongly, that hartshorn and ivory shavings
preserved beer.

For more on both these subjects see Jeffrey Patton's excellent Additives
Adulterants and Contaminants in Beer, ISBN 1 872426 00 X, from which I have
stolen the above.

Martyn Cornell