hist-brewing: Favorite Old Ales

Mark & Eylat Poliner allotta at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 18 10:39:24 PST 2002

Great source is Cindy Renfrow's book, "A Sip Through Time".

Here is one I did that was without hops.
10# Maris Otter pale malt (traditional floor malting)
3# Gambrinus Honey Malt
1.5# Brown malt
1# Aromatic
1# German smoked malt      (This attempts to simulate the uneven kilning of
malt over a wood fire)
.5 ounce Yarrow
.25 ounce bog myrtle
.5 ounce marsh rosemary
2 ounces heather tips (1 ounce at biginning of boil, final ounce at last 10
minutes)
.25 ounce juniper berries.
(Or substitute 1.5 ounces Fuggle hops for the gruit herbs)

Mash grains at 155 for 60 minutes.  Use first running only.  Add enough
water to runoff to bring to 6.5 gallons.  Boil for 60 mintues with gruit
herbs. Use any English or Scottish ale yeast.