hist-brewing: Hello!

Alex Hofelich fenrix at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 26 18:21:40 PST 2002

Although technically not brewing, I've really enjoyed cordial making, and it
works well for holiday gifts.  I prefer to use double distilled clear
brandy, as I find that it lends very little alcohol flavor to the cordial.
Most fruits work quite nicely and I'm trying to construct an amaretto right
now.

I don't know if anyone's worked with nut cordials before, but this might be
worth discussing.  The nuts are all stuck together and it seems a little
sludgy.  The brown coating on the almonds seems to be what has created the
sludge, as it has all separated from the nuts.  Anyone know if this is
normal?

Three things that I've found don't make very good cordials: pomegranates,
gooseberries, and pumpkin.  The pumpkin was a little weird, but not bad.
But neither was it very noteworthy.  Other things act as a better medium to
carry cinnamon, clove, allspice, and ginger.

--Alex