hist-brewing: Hello!

Jeff Renner JeffRenner at comcast.net
Thu Nov 14 06:27:28 PST 2002

RravenX at aol.com wrote:

>My name is Natalia and I am new to the list.. I'm interested in learning
>about historical brewing, since me and a friend are contemplating joining the
>SCA, so I want to learn about brewing. I guess the reason I especially want
>to know is that I'm very picky about the types of alcohol I drink, I like
>sweet kinds where you don't taste the liquor. So far I know how to make
>cherry cordials and homemade coconut rum. Any recomendations for any recipes
>I should try?
>Natalia

How about a sweet melomel (fruit flavored mead)?  Probably the most
popular are raspberry, blackberry and cherry meads.

These are typically strong (14%+), and sweet, and "pretty" when well
made.  And dangerously drinkable.  They seem to be especially popular
with women.  You can't tell they are strong until you try to stand
up.  In fact, because they are so harmless tasting, they are
sometimes called LPR, or liquid panty remover.

Meads are easy to make, although really great ones take some care and
time to mature.  If you like coconut rum, a coconut mead might be to
your liking.

The Mead Lovers Digest http://www.talisman.com/mead/ is a good place
to start.  There is also a newish web site run by self proclaimed
MeadWench and SCA member Vicky Rowe at http://www.gotmead.com/.

Jeff
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, JeffRenner at comcast.net
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943