FW:hist-brewing: Elderberries

EFOUCH at steelcase.com EFOUCH at steelcase.com
Tue Sep 24 07:56:00 PDT 2002

I eat raw elderberries all the time.

It hasn't affected me a bit.

Eric J. Fouch

"Prediction is extremely difficult. Especially about the future."
- Niels Bohr

------------------( Forwarded letter 1 follows )--------------------
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:47:25 -0400
To: hist-brewing at pbm.com
From: segedy at gsinet.net
Sender: hist-brewing-admin at pbm.com
Subject: hist-brewing: Elderberries

I recently came across a multitude of wild elderberries.  In looking for
jelly recipes both books I looked in pointed out that they are poisionous,
but that heat destroys the poision.  I have also frozen a bag full to do a
mead with, per recommendations that it help break them up to get more juice.
My question for the group is should they be cooked before adding them to a
mead?  None of the wine or mead recipes I've seen say anything about cooking
them, and I don't recall ever hearing about anyone being poisioned by
elderberry wine, but obviously I don't want to make up bottles of poision.

Thanks,
John