hist-brewing: Elderberries

jps segedy at gsinet.net
Mon Sep 23 13:47:25 PDT 2002

I recently came across a multitude of wild elderberries.  In looking for
jelly recipes both books I looked in pointed out that they are poisionous,
but that heat destroys the poision.  I have also frozen a bag full to do a
mead with, per recommendations that it help break them up to get more juice.
My question for the group is should they be cooked before adding them to a
mead?  None of the wine or mead recipes I've seen say anything about cooking
them, and I don't recall ever hearing about anyone being poisioned by
elderberry wine, but obviously I don't want to make up bottles of poision.

Thanks,
John