hist-brewing: Kumiss

Lars Hedbor lhedbor at attbi.com
Fri Aug 30 21:08:41 PDT 2002

I have an article in the current issue of Zymurgy that briefly discusses
koumiss.  In the course of researching that article, I came across little in
the way of specifics about yeast -- likely whatever wild yeasts were present
in the fermentation containers and in the environment of the Asian steppes.

The yeast involved is quite unlikely to be S. cerevisiae, as there is very
little sucrose or glucose present in any (untreated) milk, and most (all?)
standard brewing yeasts lack the ability to consume lactose directly.
Perhaps a dairy yeast, such as Kluyveromyces lactis, from which lactase
drops are derived?

As for mare's milk, I could find no citations for commercial availability on
the Web -- but then, I was not searching in the spring.  Given the science
that's been applied to analyzing mare's milk -- and likely the substitutes,
too -- you should have little trouble scaring up some research that would
give you a good indication of the presence of suitable fermentable sugars.

I have a sense from my research that koumiss is probably quite closely akin
to the Scandinavian filmilk, which is a thin, yogurt-like beverage.  Not
much alcohol, but there may be a low level of carbonation due to a slowly
progressing fermentation.

Best of luck -- do let me know what you come up with.  I have a lingering
intellectual curiosity about the topic...

- Lars D. H. Hedbor