hist-brewing: DNA of Wine

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Thu Aug 22 08:44:15 PDT 2002

FRENCH RESEARCHERS MAP GENETIC CODE OF WINE IN BID TO CURB FRAUD OF TOP
WINES
from The San Francisco Chronicle

PARIS (AP) -- It may be less enjoyable than relying on taste buds, but
French researchers say they have found a way to use DNA to tell the
difference between a high-end wine and a cheaper blend.

Scientists at the National Institute of Agronomic Research recently
succeeded in mapping the DNA sequences of unpurified wine, with the hope
that one day they can distinguish diluted wines from authentic champagnes,
or grand crus.

So far, the technological advance consists of taking unpurified wine made
from a single type of grape -- not the purified wine people drink -- and
tracing its DNA sequence to differentiate it from mixtures, says Philippe
This of INRA's wine genetics lab in the southern city of Montpellier.

"It's not quantitative -- we can't tell if a wine is, say, 85 percent of
one type of grape and 15 percent of another, but we can determine which
ones are present," he said.
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
file=/news/archive/2002/08/13/financial0357EDT0023.DTL>

    Knowledge is never wasted, nor is the time to acquire it.