hist-brewing: to boil or not to boil?

BrewInfo brewinfo at xnet.com
Wed Jul 3 13:50:21 PDT 2002

Boiling mead must will give you a clearer mead with less aroma.  If you
don't boil, you'll have a slighly hazier mead with more aroma.

I prefer to not boil.  I didn't boil the must on my mead that won 1st
place for Traditional Mead at the 1997 AHA National Competition.  It
was hazy, but the judges didn't mind.

All I did was boil the water, take it off the heat, add the honey, stir,
cool, add a pinch of Fermax (ok, it wasn't a period mead), pitched
yeast and let it go for several months.  Bottled still.

Al.
http://www.brewinfo.org/brewinfo/