hist-brewing: boiling

jpbrew jpbrew at pinn.net
Tue Jul 2 17:32:27 PDT 2002

I did some research a few years ago when I first started brewing beer. Much of the literature noted great care for the brewers to get the best water available, making sure that the tanners, butchers, etc., were located down stream. Also, with the wide spread of various diseases in medieval Europe, it seemed that folks preferred to drink something that had been previously boiled (and if it was boiled, then why not beer). Besides removing bits of wax and pollen from the honey, could it also be possible that the mead was boiled to make sure that the water  was free of any possible disease?

Johann