hist-brewing: mangos

Jean-Paul Blaquiere japester at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jun 30 20:25:14 PDT 2002

> On Jun 30, jpbrew illuminated :

> Hi all.   I have two questions that I would like some in put on.
> First-To boil or not to boil honey for meads.

either or, take your preference.  Both methods work.  My preference (in the
few batches of mead I've made) is to slowly simmer with the lid on the pot.
All the impurities still float to the top, but the lid catches most of the
volatiles.  I open it up occasionally and skim the scum off the surface.

> Second- I'm going to try to make a Mango Melomel.

good luck!  i've tasted a couple of commercial mango wines and one tasted
vaguely like mangoes, the other tasted quite strongly of them.  I am a big
big fan of mangoes and have contemplated fermenting them but they usually get
eaten before I reach that stage! Let us know how it goes.

./Jp
--
Jean-Paul Blaquiere             ||   Avatar of Computational
   japester at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au   ||   Thaumaturgy