hist-brewing: eucalyptus honey

Tom Smit lunica at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jun 27 19:56:18 PDT 2002

"Jones, Craig" wrote:

> > > I have to say that I disagree with that despite what I've heard as
> well.
> > > The one I did turned out wonderfully light in flavor with a hint of
> the
> > > eucalyptus 'twang'.
> > Living in Australia I use Eucalyptus honey in beer and meads alla
> time.
> > They come out fine, even after 18 months fermenting/secondarying/bulk
> > aging
> >
> > Tom Smit
>
> Also being an Australian brewer (mainly mead) I would have to disagree
> slightly with Tom.  I find that if you are planning a brew, the milder
> honeys are much better.  I found that some varieties of Eucalyptus make
> for very objectionable mead which need extensive aging:
>
> Good Varieties:
> Red River Gum,
> Mallee Gum,
> Woolly and Stringy Bark.
>
> Heavy Varieties requiring Aging:
> Blue Gum,
> all the boxes, ESPECIALLY Yellow Box.
>
> Just my Opinion,
>
> Drake.
>
> Ps.  Patterson's Curse and Canola (although not eucalyptus) make good
> mead, as does Leatherwood (but I alone in that regard...)
Canola I won't touch, part of my anti-gmo philospohy, Salvation Jane a
bit bland.

But, yes, me and Drake pity all you who don't have access to gallons of
fresh leatherwood honey, beautifully fragrant and floral, fantastic. It
blew the NHC judges away, they just couldn't place it (or my meads/beers
but that is another story    :)   )

LOL

Tom