hist-brewing: brewster wardrobe

Paloma Hill peeweenation at myfastmail.com
Wed Jun 5 19:29:40 PDT 2002

A brewster friend and I are planning to serve our friends with some of our special herbal brews - and I am wondering if anyone out there knows about traditional dress for brewsters.  Really it could be from any European country - and preferably from the time when gruit ale was popular.
The only tidbit I know about is that in Great Britian it was common for a broom to be turned upside down outside of house when there was ale for sale.
The other question I have is how to pronounce 'gruit' - I've heard a few options, but I'm betting that this group has this down.
Thanks all, you are a wonderfully wise collection of brewers and brewsters.
Paloma