hist-brewing: gruit ales - marsh rosemary

Paloma Hill peeweenation at myfastmail.com
Thu May 30 12:43:21 PDT 2002

to all:
I checked out the following links from Scottie:
Suggested Sources for buying dried herbs
www.leavesandroots.com/herb/herbs.html
www.jjherbs.com
www.pennherb.com

and found that jjherbs.com was not available (nor was jherbs.com) - and
leavesandroots.com is findable only as leavesandroots.com, not by the whole
link above.  Pennherb was quite a nice site.  I would also like to recommend
http://wildweeds.com - it is the only site I've been able to find bulk wild
rosemary.  Also they sell seeds.  As I said in a previous email I found
seeds in Siberia:  http://www.thealpinegarden.com/seedlist.htm.
For other seeds I really like http://thymegarden.com/

Is anyone in this group interested in growing brewing herbs from seed?

I'm planting juniper bushes and trees - I know that there must be a male and
female bush/tree to get seeds - but noone who is selling these products
seems to know how I to tell them apart.  There are also so many varieties of
juniper - does anyone know if a particular variety is better for making
beer?  or was used more historically?

By the way - I don't have much to contribute in these erudite discussions
regarding the history of beer - but I appreciate very much reading
information that you all are sending.

Paloma