hist-brewing: Re: Crystal Malt and Torrified Wheat

Jeff Renner JeffRenner at comcast.net
Sun May 26 13:55:35 PDT 2002

Mike Bennett <mjb at efn.org> wrote:

>Scotti <PBLoomis at aol.com> wrote:
>
>  > The sugars crystallize out, and are thereafter much harder
>  > for any amylase enzymes to break down.  They remain complex,
>  > and contribute both mouthfeel and sweetness to the resulting
>  > beer.
>
>This statement is incorrect.  The sugars produced are soluble and will
>be broken down by any amylase present from the base malts used.  I
>believe that this misconception is brought on by homebrew texts that
>instruct the homebrewer to add crystal to their extract beers for more
>sweetness and mouthfeel.  Since extracts don't have active amylase the
>large chain sugars present in the crystal malt won't be broken down.

This is a question that puzzled me, so I asked it four years ago on
HomeBrew Digest.  Mort O'Sullivan, then a student at the
International Centre for Brewing and Distilling at Heriot-Watt
University in Edinburgh, Scotland, answered.  He stated that the
sugars in crystal malt are indeed resistant to fermentation.  This
has been my own experience, although I've never done an actual
experiment.

Below is his original post and his reply to another question.  This
is an incredible bit of information that I believe is accurate.   I
hope it is of use to the readers of this list.

Jeff