hist-brewing: Crystal Malt and Torrified Wheat

D. Butler-Ehle ulfin at portup.com
Sat May 25 10:56:36 PDT 2002

Scotti says:

>The sugars crystallize out, and are thereafter much
>harder for any amylase enzymes to break down.

That doesn't make sense to me.  Even crystallised, the
the sugars are fully soluble (those that aren't don't
make it into the beer anyway).  The amylase should
be able to munch on them.

If it's a matter of delaying the dissolution until
after deactivation of the the enzymes, then how about
keeping the crystal out of the mash and just hydrating
it separately?  Don't dough-in with the crystal, instead
maybe add it to your sparge water or add it just before
mash out.

I feel that I have never understood the role of crystal
well enough to identify a historical reason for its
invention.  Why should it make a diffence whether or
not you dehydrate the sacchrified grain between
conversion and extraction? (Well, other than color,
that is.)

Sorry I can't help you on the bibliographic citation
part.

Cheers,
Dan