hist-brewing: Gruit herbs (was: Marsh Rosemary)

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Tue May 21 09:44:32 PDT 2002

In a message dated 5/20/02 4:14:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
obsidian at raex.com writes:

>   Yarrow ale has a somewhat astringent, vaguely citrusy flavor to it. Not
>  to everyone's taste, but I like it.

    Now I understand why it was such a nice complement to the alehoof.
It was a great hot-weather beer, and I'm planning to make it again this
summer.

Ingredients for 5 gallons
7 lbs.      pale malted 2-row barley
3 lbs.      malted oats
1 oz        dried alehoof  (boil for 60 minutes)
1/4 oz      dried yarrow (boil for last 5 minutes)
Wyeast liquid   Thames Valley yeast

    8-)
    Scotti
    Knowledge is never wasted, nor is the time to acquire it.