hist-brewing: Re: hist-brewing digest, Vol 1 #74 - 2 msgs

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Mon May 13 17:50:24 PDT 2002

>I'm trying to track down any information on a white beer brewed in SW
>England up until 1850 or so. It was generally described as cloudy and thick,
>had egg (white?) and flour in it (not that uncommon in those days), some
>kind of seasoning called "grout." The name "lober agol" or "loberagol" was
>applied to it. Apparently a rustic country survivor of earlier days, it was
>last reported in Southern Devonshire, Plymouth and Cornwall.
>
>A search of the whole internet turned up approximately zero. Anybody got
>anything? Especially a clue on the specific spices? I'd love to get this one
>going.
>
>--Randy Mosher

A brief mention is here http://www.bartleby.com/237/25.html
25. Beer and Cider By George Saintsbury
"The curious "white ale," or lober agol-which, within the memory of man,
used to exist in Devonshire and Cornwall, but which, even half a century
ago, I have vainly sought there-was, I believe, drunk quite new; but then
it was not pure malt and not hopped at all, but had eggs ("pulletsperm in
the brewage") and other foreign bodies in it."

I checked Dorothy Hartley's "Lost Country Life" and C.A. Wilson (ed.)
"Liquid Nourishment", and the O.E.D. without result.

Hartley's "Food in England", p. 548, yielded this:
"Andrew Boorde wrote that 'Cornish Ale is stark nought, looking whyte and
thycke as pygges had wrastled in it.' He may have seen some Cornish cream
brew, or it may have had something to do wht the Cornish clay water? They
used to put cream in their cider to fine it."

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow
cindy at thousandeggs.com
Recipes"