hist-brewing: British White Ale

Mark Poliner brewmaster411 at yahoo.com
Mon May 13 08:33:16 PDT 2002

Sounds like a wheat beer, though I never heard of one
brewed in England.
Gruit is a misture of herbs that were used to bitter
and flavor beer before hops were introduced.
Ususally they included bog mertyl, yarrow root, marsh
rosemary, and others.

Egg whites were and still are used as a clarifying
agent.   Beat the egg whites into a froth, pour over
the beer and it will aid in clearing the beer (similar
to gelatin, isinglas, sparkaloid, etc).

Hope this answers your questions.