hist-brewing: British White Ale

Randy Mosher rmosher at 21stcentury.net
Thu May 23 08:57:55 PDT 2002

Hi,

I'm trying to track down any information on a white beer brewed in SW
England up until 1850 or so. It was generally described as cloudy and thick,
had egg (white?) and flour in it (not that uncommon in those days), some
kind of seasoning called "grout." The name "lober agol" or "loberagol" was
applied to it. Apparently a rustic country survivor of earlier days, it was
last reported in Southern Devonshire, Plymouth and Cornwall.

A search of the whole internet turned up approximately zero. Anybody got
anything? Especially a clue on the specific spices? I'd love to get this one
going.

--Randy Mosher