hist-brewing: Delurk and a question about Digby's bottles

Robert rpastor at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Apr 8 02:49:28 PDT 2002

on 4/7/02 6:16 PM, Robin Carroll-Mann at rcmann4 at earthlink.net wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I'm just getting started with brewing, and have a couple of 1-gallon
> meads (a metheglin and a cyser) bubbling on my kitchen counter.
> I'm thinking about my next batch, and have been looking at some
> of the recipes in "A Sip Through Time".  A few of Digby's recipes
> call for X amount of an ingredient per bottle.  For example, a
> raspberry mead needs 6 spoonfuls of raspberry syrup in each
> bottle.  Does anyone know what the capacity of a wine bottle was
> at that time?  I've searched the web, and the list archive, and my
> copy of "Dictionary of English Weights and Measures", all to no
> avail.

If the raspberry syrup is being used to add flavor and create a sparkling
mead, it is much safer to mix the syrup and mead in another container before
bottling. Adding to the bottles leads to inconsistency and can lead to
explosions (wine bottles are not made to withstand much internal pressure).
As far as the amount goes, a general rule of thumb in brewing beer is 2/3
cup dextrose or 1 cup dry malt extract per 5 gallon batch.

Robert