hist-brewing: Delurk and a question about Digby's bottles

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 7 16:16:44 PDT 2002

Greetings!

I'm just getting started with brewing, and have a couple of 1-gallon
meads (a metheglin and a cyser) bubbling on my kitchen counter.
I'm thinking about my next batch, and have been looking at some
of the recipes in "A Sip Through Time".  A few of Digby's recipes
call for X amount of an ingredient per bottle.  For example, a
raspberry mead needs 6 spoonfuls of raspberry syrup in each
bottle.  Does anyone know what the capacity of a wine bottle was
at that time?  I've searched the web, and the list archive, and my
copy of "Dictionary of English Weights and Measures", all to no
avail.

And information will be much appreciated.
Robin Carroll-Mann
rcmann4 at earthlink.net
"Mostly Harmless" -- Douglas Adams