hist-brewing: sugar info

JazzboBob at aol.com JazzboBob at aol.com
Mon Mar 18 20:23:22 PST 2002

I have been doing research on the use of sugar in brewing and found this
interesting web site on spices and other period supplies.  I received the
following response about loaf sugar from the proprietor.  I thought that it
would be of interest since sugar appears in various period recipes and the
site calls themselves "PURVEYORS OF GOODS FOR HISTORICAL COOKERY AND LIVING"

JazzboBob

Greetings

We do have sugar loaves (small ones), but they are white rather than brown
sugar. "Loaf sugar" refers to the shape of the block of sugar, not its
flavor. Until the late 19th century sugar did not come in granulated form, as
it does today, but in a solid block, or loaf, which was in the shape of a
cone, rounded at the top. This is (inverted) the shape of the felt strainer
into which the sugar syrup was poured to let the water seep out, and in which
shape the sugar solidified. To use your sugar, you broke off a piece and
powdered it (if powdered was needed), then used it. (Every so often you will
see, in antique shops, "sugar snippers," which were used to cut pieces down
into lump size for use with tea and coffee.  Therefore, when a recipe calls
for "loaf sugar," all that it means is "ordinary sugar," whatever is ordinary
in the day of the recipe.

Yours sincerely,
David Dendy / <A HREF="mailto:ddendy at silk.net">ddendy at silk.net</A>
partner in Francesco Sirene, Spicer / <A HREF="mailto:sirene at silk.net">sirene at silk.net</A>
Visit our Website at <A HREF="http://www.silk.net/sirene/">http://www.silk.net/sirene/</A>

I also found this baking supply place to have some unusual sugars, syrups,
grains and flours available.  They even have malted rye.
www.bakerscatalogue.com
 <A HREF="http://www.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/start/ahome/fromoutside2.html?anchor_name=cata">Click here: Welcome to The Baker's Catalogue</A>