hist-brewing: Tansy in Ale

Harijan isobel at one.net
Thu Mar 7 20:18:21 PST 2002

At 06:24 PM 3/7/2002 -0500, ed somers wrote:

>I am surprised to see all the warnings about tansy. I read in The
>Historical Companion to House-Brewing, that tansy Common, is useful in
>brewing. It quotes Culpepper (ca 16th -17th century) "Let those women who
>desire children love this herb. Tis their best companion, their huisbands
>excepted." and then says that "boiled in beer it stayed miscarriages."

I've read Culpeper's Herbal. I don't find his work to be the most
authoritative, although he can be quite on the mark sometimes. For herb
lore, I usually consult John Lust.

In service to the Dream,

T.H.L. Isobel Wren/Midori Gozen  (mka Sarah Dorrance)  ICQ# 3022977
http://www.geocities.com/ladyisobelwren/  In the SCA, and you're (ahem)
Rocky Road rather than vanilla?
sca-pervect-subscribe at yahoogroups.com  Knowne Worlde Poets
Guild:  Knowne_World_Poets-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
Dedicated to being a creature of Night, and *period* -
saturnine-sca-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

But I'm a NICE Slytherin...