hist-brewing: Tansy in Ale

Harijan isobel at one.net
Tue Mar 5 20:39:19 PST 2002

At 09:15 PM 2/24/2002 +1300, Julie Craig wrote:

>I have an abundance of Tansy and it is use it or weed it time - can't
>see the garden path.
>
>Is there any recipes that use tansy as the principle flavouring?

My own personal experience with tansy:

I used it once to try to induce a period (sorry if this falls under the TMI
category). It gave me mild chest pains, but other than that I didn't notice
anything. Later I found out that it's highly toxic and has been known to
cause heart irregularities in people who ingest it; it's easy to OD on and
you can find yourself having a sudden and awkward heart attack. Not good
stuff. On the other hand, bugs really don't like it; if you camp at events,
you might try sewing a pillow full of marigold, tansy, and pennyroyal, to
sit or lie on; or wearing a pomander with those herbs in it.

I put it in a cordial for myself to drink, along with some other herbs that
are on the proscribed list (blue cohosh, pennyroyal). Medicinal use only.
Specifically mine. I'm not sure why, but I seem to have a natural tolerance
to most poisons. It's a neat trick, I suppose, but it means that I have to
be careful when I use any herbs in a cordial to read up on the side effects
and ask people in advance if they know of any allergies or
hypersensitivities before I give them a taste. (My house mate, for
instance, is violently allergic to rose hips.)

In service to the Dream,

T.H.L. Isobel Wren/Midori Gozen  (mka Sarah Dorrance)  ICQ# 3022977
http://www.geocities.com/ladyisobelwren/  In the SCA, and you're (ahem)
Rocky Road rather than vanilla?
sca-pervect-subscribe at yahoogroups.com  Knowne Worlde Poets
Guild:  Knowne_World_Poets-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
Dedicated to being a creature of Night, and *period* -
saturnine-sca-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

But I'm a NICE Slytherin...