hist-brewing: Mustard Beer

Baden,Doug baden at oclc.org
Thu Feb 14 08:23:30 PST 2002

I make mustard as one of the multitude of cooking tasks I enjoy.

Mustard flavor is based on a volatile oil, so don't boil it for very long.
It becomes tasteless fairly quickly in a double boiler (15 minutes).  I
would use it like a finishing hop, if that long.

I would make a 1 gallon batch of beer to test this.  Then if you overdo it,
spaghetti sauce is in order.  That's what I do with badly flavored beer,
spaghetti sauce.  It works :).  Stews work too.  Made a Sage guit beer and
it makes the most AWESOME stew....

Doug/Arundel