hist-brewing: Mustard Beer

B.R. Rolya br at triagemusic.com
Tue Jan 29 12:03:01 PST 2002

Andy wrote:

>Some time ago I promised someone I'd brew a mustard beer. Anyone out
>there used mustard powder? If so, how much did you use in what size
>batch and what did you think of the results.
>In my uncomplicated way of brewing I was thinking of putting an amount
>into the last 15 mins of the boil. Would putting it in the mash be
>better? Also would any oils in the mustard powder affect the head on
>the beer?

I've not brewed with mustard but I recently had a beer brewed with mustard
seed from the tiny Regenboog brewery in Belgium.  The mustard seed imparted
a very subtle flavor to the beer but I don't think that I would have picked
it out if I didn't know that it was there.  I'm assuming that the seeds are
added to the boil and not the mash but unfortunately I have no further info.

- BR Rolya
Malted Barley Appreciation Society
NYC
http://hbd.org/mbas/