hist-brewing: Porter and Chocolate Malt

Glenn Raudins glenn at raudins.com
Fri Feb 1 12:28:09 PST 2002

I think this post got lost but sorry in advance if it spits out twice.

PBLoomis at aol.com writes:
>    However, I understand that porter, which uses chocolate malt,
>dates from sometime around 1750.  I thought that chocolate malt
>was not dependent on that technology.
>    Citation, please?

M.L. Byrn in "The Complete Practical Brewer", 1852, cites that porter
was made from "Porter Malt", which he also later refers to as "brown
malt", until:

"When malt became high-priced, in consequence of the heavy taxes laid
upon it, and the great increase in the price of barley which took place
during the war of the French revolution, the brewers found out that a
greater
quantity of wort of a given strength could be prepared from pale malt
than from brown malt. The consequence was, that pale malt was
substituted for brown malt in the brewing of porter and beer."

He then goes on to describe various concoctions used to restore the
"agreeable bitter flavour" that had been lost in converting to pale
malt.

He does reference black malt: " The black malt used by the porter brewer
to colour his beer has suffered a much higher heat, and is partially
charred."  He never again references it in his section on porter
brewing.

In the porter brewing chapter, he states that three kinds of malt are
used by brewers in London:  "pale malt, amber malt, and brown malt."

Just one data point,

Glenn
http://www.raudins.com/BrewBooks